Sister Renée Domeier Scholarship for CSB Spanish Majors
The Sister Renée Domeier Scholarship for Spanish is available on an annual basis for Hispanic Studies majors enrolled at the College of Saint Benedict. Applications are accepted in the spring and are open to CSB majors who will be juniors or seniors the following fall. Recipients are chosen on the basis of scholarship, strength of academic purpose, and financial need (determined by consultation with the Financial Aid Office). The scholarship amount varies from year to year and are typically divided among the top three applicants.
I. A letter to the Sister Renée Domeier Scholarship Committee stating your professional goals, (approximately one page, in English).
II. Include with the letter the following information in Spanish:
A) A one-page Vita that includes or lists:
- The name of your current Hispanic Studies advisor
- Any activities that promote Spanish within CSB/SJU, such as Resident Director of the Spanish floor, officer of the Spanish Club, etc.
- Any extra-curricular activities: travel, professional affiliations, jobs, hobbies, clubs, etc.
- An unofficial copy of your transcripts
B) A one-page explanation stating the reasons you should be the recipient of this scholarship and ways you intend to help promote Spanish language studies on campus.
Be sure to submit these documents in the form of a PDF. Only those applications that are complete and which have followed the directions will be considered.
- The scholarship amount may be shared among up to three applicants.
- Award recipients will be expected to promote Spanish language studies on campus. Examples of activities might include sharing experiences from study abroad, actively participating in Spanish Club and language floors, and helping to organize or participate in Spanish-sponsored events on campus.
Finalists may be interviewed by members of the Department of Hispanic Studies. If there is a tie, the financial need of each applicant, as provided by the Financial Aid Office, will be taken into account.
Applications are to be submitted by email attachment to email@example.com. Application deadline is TBD each year. Applicants are notified by early-April. Contact Mary Niedenfuer at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Renée Domeier, OSB was born in Fairfax in southwestern Minnesota. She has been a member of Saint Benedict’s monastic community for over 60 years and taught Spanish language and literature at CSB/SJU for 25 years. She founded Casa Guadalupe, a hospitality and resource center, in 1997 and continues to respond to and visit families through that organization. Throughout her 85+ years, she has loved teaching—from little ones and teenagers to college students and community members. S. Renée also write blogs for St. Benedict's monastic blog, creates radio clips for the Sisters' community outreach through the Albany radio station, and works with the archival collection of oral histories of the Sisters.
The Sister Renée Domeier Scholarship for Spanish majors at the College of Saint Benedict was established in February 1981 by a dear friend of S. Renée's who loved and appreciated the influence S. Renée had on her students.