Student Instructions for Online Timesheets
- Accessing Banner Web Self Service
- Entering Hours
- Submitting Time
- Recalling Time Sheet
- Submitting Late Time Sheets
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Go to CSB+SJU homepage: http://www.csbsju.edu
- Choose Tools
- Choose Employee Self Service
- Click on appropriate link
- In Employee Dashboard under “My Activities” on the right-hand side, click the blue button “Enter Time”
- Under the correct job (if you have more than one), locate the current pay period and click “Start Timesheet.”
- Locate the day you want to record hours for and click on the calendar box. One week is displayed at a time, so click the blue arrows to navigate to the next week on the timesheet if needed. The box will turn blue with the date selected.
- Make sure the Earn Code is set to “Regular Earnings – Non Exempt” and enter the number of hours you worked that day. Click the “Save” button on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Repeat for every day you worked to record hours.
- Please Note: Round your hours to the nearest quarter hour
- Examples: 1 hour and 15 minutes = 1.25; 1½ = 1.5; 1¾ = 1.75
- Record 1 hour and 10 minutes as 1.25 and record 1 hour and 5 minutes as 1.
- To exit the current timesheet, click “Timesheet” at the top ribbon of the screen. This will take you back to all of your available timesheets.
- If a timesheet is already in progress and you would like to add hours, select the desired timesheet and repeat steps 3-5.
- To edit hours already entered, select the day you would like to change. This will open a box with details of what has been entered. Click the blue pencil on the right-hand side to edit.
- To change the hours, make the appropriate change and click Save.
- If you would like to delete all hours, select the (-) on the right side of the screen and click "Yes." The hours will be removed once you save the timesheet.
- After you have entered all of your hours for the pay period, click “Preview” in the bottom right corner.
- Review the Timesheet Detail Summary to make sure the dates and hours are correct.
- Click “Submit” in the bottom right corner to submit your timesheet for approval.
- Your timesheet should now say “Timesheet successfully submitted.”
- Your time sheet is now waiting for approval from your supervisor; you can see when you submitted the timesheet and if it has been approved under the “Routing and Status” bar in the Timesheet Detail Summary.
Timesheets may be recalled if hours were incorrectly submitted and you need to edit the timesheet before the hours are approved. You won't be able to recall the timesheet after it is approved by your supervisor.
- Select the desired timesheet.
- Select “Recall Timesheet” in the bottom right corner.
- You will now be able to edit hours for the days during the selected timesheet.
- Once the changes have been made, you may now submit the timesheet again.
If you were not able to submit your time sheet by the "Submit By Date", the hours can be submitted on this online timesheet form.
- Why isn't my timesheet available?
- Do I need to enter hours on each day?
- I've entered my time for today and want to save my timesheet so that I can enter hours again later. How do I save my timesheet?
- How should I round my hours when I am entering them on my timesheet?
- I have two jobs, how do I go back and enter time for the second job?
- Why can I view my timesheet but not edit the hours?
- What should I do if I have already submitted my time, but my hours need to be changed?
- How can I check to see if my supervisor has approved my time?
There are four reasons that your timesheet may not be available for you to enter hours:
- The CSB+SJU Student Employment Office has not received an approved Notification of Hiring (NOH) form for your position. If you have not completed an NOH, please do so as soon as possible.
- You have recently completed the NOH form. It will take a few days for the student employment office to get your position set up.
- You are missing required payroll forms. The student employment office must have the following payroll forms on file before your timesheet is set up:
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
- Student Employment Contract
- W-4 Tax Withholding Form
- MN W-4 Tax Withholding Form
- Direct Deposit Form
- Your department does not use web time entry. There are a handful of departments on campus who do not use web time entry; most of these departments use punch cards instead. If you use a punch card to record time you will not have an electronic timesheet.
If none of these reasons pertain to you, please contact the student employment office and we will check into why your timesheet is not yet available.
No, you should only enter hours on the days that you worked. You should not enter zeros on the days that you do not work.
I've entered my time for today and want to save my timesheet so that I can enter hours again later. How do I save my timesheet?
By clicking the "Save" button when you entered your time, you have already saved your timesheet. You can either click "Employee Dashboard" on the top ribbon of Banner Web Self Service to exit your timesheet or close your browser window. The information you entered will still be there the next time you log in.
Round your hours to the nearest quarter hour. Examples:
- 1 hour and 15 minutes = 1.25; 1 hour and 30 minutes = 1.5; 1 hour and 45 minutes = 1.75
- Record 1 hour and 10 minutes as 1.25 and record 1 hour and 5 minutes as 1.
Select "Timesheet" on the top ribbon of the screen. This will bring you back to the screen where you choose a timesheet.
There are two reasons that you may not be able to edit the hours: 1. You have already submitted your timesheet for approval or 2. It is past the Submit By Date for the timesheet.
After you have submitted your time for approval you can no longer edit the hours. There are two ways you can tell if you have submitted your time for approval:
- The status of your timesheet will say Pending if it has been submitted for approval. This means that your timesheet is waiting for approval from your supervisor. If you would like to edit your submitted hours, click "Recall Timesheet" in the bottom right corner. Please remember to re-submit once changes have been made.
- When you preview your timesheet, the "Routing and Status" section includes information about when your timesheet was started, submitted, approved, etc. In this section if there is an action that states Submitted with a date behind it, this means that your timesheet has been submitted.
After the Submit By Date on the top of your timesheet has passed, you will no longer be able to edit your timesheet. At this point the student employment office is too far in the payroll process to accept any changes. You must submit your timesheet before the Submit By Date date to have your hours paid with the correct payroll.
There are three ways that your time can be changed after you have submitted it to your supervisor.
- Click "Recall Timesheet" at the bottom on your timecard. This will allow you to edit hours you have submitted for approval or add/subtract hours on your timecard. We you have finished making changes, be sure to submit your timecard again. This option will not be available if your supervisor has already approved the timescard.
- Your supervisor can change the time before he/she approves it. You will need to contact your supervisor with information about what needs to be changed.
- Your supervisor can choose to return the timesheet to you for correction. Then you will again be able to edit the timesheet, and you will need to submit the timesheet for approval again. Supervisors can find information about how to return a timesheet for correction in the Supervisor Frequently Asked Questions section.
There are two ways you can tell if your timesheet has been approved:
- When you go to choose your timesheet it will say Approved behind the dates that the timesheet is for. This means that your timesheet has been approved by your supervisor.
- When you are in your timesheet there is a Routing and Status section that includes information about when your timesheet was started, submitted, approved, etc. In this section if there is an action that states Approved with a date behind it, this means that your timesheet has been approved by your supervisor.