Stone Weather Station
1st location, 1892-1913: turret atop St. John's entrance, then on the east side of the Quad
2nd location, 1913-1942: atop the science hall, now known as Simons Hall
3rd location, 1942-1952: stone weather station north of that science building
4th location, 1952- : atop the root cellar north of the Liturgial Press
Originally, the weather station at Saint John's was placed in the turret of the Quad, but was thought to be unfit as it sat atop a heated building and could not easily take precipitation measurements in the winter months. The observation instruments were then moved to the fourth floor of Simons Hall (formerly the science hall) once its construction was completed in 1913. In 1942, the instruments were moved to a stone building located north of Simons Hall. When Mary Hall was built in 1951, the weather station had to be moved once more; its new home became the top of the root cellar behind Emmaus Hall.
- Robling, Landolin OSB, "Weather station locations," Scriptorium, Vol. 12, January 1952, p. 48-52.
- Rolfson, Gunther OSB, "Our Scientific Endeavor," Scriptorium, Vol. 5, December 1944, p. 38.
- Bromenshenkel, Sylvan OSB, "Our Weather and Climate," Scriptorium, Vol. 5. Summer 1945, p. 40.
- St. John's establishes a Weather Station for Collegeville [1892 Timeline entry]
- Collegeville Weather Station Updated [2007 Timeline entry]
Text Drafted by Claire Folkestad