Seton Townhomes and Flynntown Bridge
Top Left: alternate design to Seton Townhouse. Top Right: finished Seton Townhouses. Bottom: construction of Flynntown Bridge (click thumbnails for larger image)
Architect: BWBR Architects
Contractor: LS Black
- May 12, 2021: Groundbreaking
- Fall, 2022: Completed
- October 14, 2022: Dedication and Blessing
Slated to begin in May 2020 but postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the new Seton Townhouse apartments replaced the old earth-sheltered apartments for students located on the north side of Stumpf (Watab) Lake, opening in the fall of the 2022-2023 academic school year. Initially, the Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Village Townhomes consisted of two apartments, housing both juniors and seniors, with 94 beds available, making the square feet totaling over 45,300. Construction of another set of townhomes just to the west, after the removal of Metten Court, was immediately begun in fall 2022.
Unlike the old earth-sheltered apartments, the new Seton apartments corrected the heating and cooling issues of the old apartments, and provided modern appliances, a communal laundry room, and a new recreation space. Additionally, the apartments complied with the Americans with Disabilities Act, providing select one-person ADA-compliant apartments within the townhomes.
On October 1st, 2021, the Nicol Bridge, named after benefactors Tom and Elizabeth Nicol, was placed across Stumpf Lake to connect upper and lower campus for easier student access.
Both the Townhomes and Nicol Bridge were dedicated and blessed on Oct. 14th, 2022, with speeches by the Board of Trustees, Abbot John Klassen, and the SJU Student Senate.
- Ruckman, Betsy. "New Flynntown apartments to debut in August 2021," The Record, 27 September 2019, p. 3.
- "Construction underway on Flynntown Bridge," The Record, 1 October 2021, p. 1.
- "Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Village Townhomes," Saint John’s Magazine, Summer/Fall 2022, p. 31.
- Ayer, Autumn. "St. John's campus opens new Seton apartments in Flynntown this semester," The Record, 22 September 2022, p. 1, 4.
- Lenius, Maddie. "SJU blesses new bridge and townhomes at ceremony," The Record, 20 November 2022, p. 1.