Flynn and Leonardz Houses, Flynntown
Architect: Raphael Knapp, OSB
The lower part of campus, affectionately called “Flynntown”, has housed upperclassmen for a century. The area is named after basketball and baseball coach, Edward Flynn, who worked at St. John’s University during the early 1900’s. The original houses, Flynn and Leonardz, were constructed in 1914 and housed a variety of different groups throughout their existence. In 1986, it was decided that the buildings were not worth repairing and were destroyed by the OSB firefighters in a practice session.
In 1991, the construction of a $1,250,000 village-style complex began in order to replace the other Flynntown housing options. The buildings were designed by Bentz, Thompson, and Rietown INC. and constructed by Donlar Construction Company. In total, there are 12 apartments that house 48 students.
- Ojeda, Julio. "Solar Housing Construction Begins Soon." The Record, 25 September 1981, p. 10.
- Toulouse, Mike. "Master Plan Causes Physical Changes on Campus." The Record, 18 September 1986, p. 1.
- Flynn, Gabriel. "Housing Construction to Begin Next Fall." The Record, 12 February 1987, p. 4.
- Glassmann, Kris “Apartments Planned,” The Record, 2 October 1989, p.4.
- Mulroney, Pat and Patrick Hicks. "Village Housing Slated for Flynntown." The Record, 19 September 1991, p. 1.
- Anderson, Aaron. "Village Housing Underway." The Record, 21 November 1991, p. 1.
- Haggerty, Matthew. "Woe to You, SJU Housing." The Record, 2 May 1996, p. 14.
- Meyer, Carl. "Construction Gives SJU New Look." The Record, 12 September 1996, p. 1.