Essential Registration Information

Prepare for Registration


First semester students must earn a minimum 1.8 cumulative grade point average to remain in good academic standing.  In subsequent semesters, all students are required to maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average for all CSB/SJU coursework.  Students who fall below a 2.0 cumulative GPA will be placed on academic probation for the next semester.  During the probationary semester, students must raise their cumulative GPA to 2.0 and may take no courses for S/U grading unless the course is offered only on an S/U basis.  Students whose cumulative GPA remains below the minimum standards at the end of a Final Probationary semester are subject to dismissal.

For more information, see the Academic Catalog: Probation -



  1. Students intending to audit a course (earn no credit) are required to complete an Audit Change of Status Form - during the first week of class.
  2. When auditing a course, students are expected to attend all regular classes.
  3. Change of Status
    • A student who begins a semester registered for credit may change to audit status any time during the first 4 weeks of the semester.
    • A student who begins a semester auditing a course may change to credit-bearing status ONLY during the 1st week of the semester.
  4. Courses audited are not included in determining the total credits earned toward a major, total credits earned toward a degree, or in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.
  5. The credit value of any audited course is calculated in the assessment of tuition.


The CSB/SJU calendar is subject to modification or interruption due to occurrences such as fire, flood, labor disputes, interruption of utility services, acts of God, civil disorder and war. In the event of such occurrences, the Institutions will attempt to accommodate their students. However, we do not guarantee that courses of instruction, extra curricular activities or other programs or events will be completed or rescheduled. Refunds will be made to eligible students in accordance with College or University policy.


The institutions reserve the right to limit the enrollment in courses due to academic or space restrictions.  In addition, a course may be due to low enrollment or unavailability of an instructor. 


Co-requisites are courses that must be taken during the same semester.


100-299 Lower-division undergraduate courses
300-399 Upper-division undergraduate courses
400-499 Masters degree courses
500-599 Doctoral program courses and graduate seminars
X71 Entries containing these two digits after the first represent individual learning



Students may complete out-of-residence courses and transfer them to the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University. The college at which the coursework is completed must be accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency at the time of enrollment. Courses to be transferred must be similar to courses offered for credit at Saint Benedict's and Saint John's. Courses to be transferred must receive a minimum grade of C. Credits received for these courses are translated into semester credits according to the appropriate translation formula. Grades earned for transferred coursework are not calculated into the student's cumulative GPA. Before credit may be transferred, the Registrar's Office must receive an official transcript directly from the college at which the courses were completed.

With advance approval, students may apply these courses towards the common curriculum and/or major requirements. Work taken to complete common curriculum requirements requires prior consultation with and approval of the Registrar's Office or the Academic Advising Office.  Work taken to complete major requirements requires prior consultation and approval of the department chair. The department chair needs to approve a Major/Minor Substitution Form.

Students who intend to transfer coursework from a foreign college or university must consult the director of international studies before beginning such study. Consult the Center for Global Education for further information.

For additional information, visit

Repeating Courses - coursework completed through AP, IB or PSEO may not be repeated at CSB/SJU for additional credit. If you choose to enroll in the equivalent course at CSB/SJU, the AP, IB or PSEO credits will be removed from your CSB/SJU transcript.


A student is considered full-time if enrolled in 12 to 18 credits during the fall or spring semesters. If you plan to register for more than 18 credits, you are incurring an overload. Overloads may be attempted only by students in good academic standing with special approval of the Academic Advising Office.

2024-2025 Fees: The overload tuition fee will be billed at appoximately $1,516.00 per credit over 18 credits. 


Advisors will have access to Degree Works,, advising aid through Banner Web Self-Service for Faculty - Please make an appointment to meet with your advisor early to review your academic progress and select your coursework. Remember, all students must see their advisor to receive their registration PIN #.


For courses scheduled for less than a full term, withdrawal during the first third of the course will result in no record entry; during the second third, a "W" entry; during the final third, a failure if appropriate.

Students who fail to properly drop or withdraw from a course may be subject to a failing grade, if appropriate.

For specific dates each semester, review the module (mod) dates & deadlines at


  • 124 credit hours. 
  • 48 of those 124 credits must be earned at CSB/SJU for students who began Fall 2017 or later
  • 40 of the total credit hours must be upper division (300 level)
  • 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA (unless a specific major requires a higher average)
  • 2.0 minimum GPA major and/or supporting courses (unless a specific major requires a higher average)
  • Completed Common Curriculum or Integrations Curriculum requirements
  • Acceptance to a major (usually at the completion of sophomore year)
  • Requirements for a major (half of the courses for a major must be completed at CSB/SJU)
  • 24 of your last 32 credits must be completed at CSB/SJU. Any concurrent credits taken elsewhere while enrolled at CSB/SJU would be considered part of the eight credits allowed.

For additional information, visit


All financial, academic, student accounts & health center holds must be cleared before registering for classes.


The policy concerning the temporary grade Incomplete (I) includes the following points:

  • When circumstances warrant, instructors may allow some delay in the completion of course work.  Such extensions shall not extend beyond the close of the following regular (fall or spring) semester, and earlier limits may be set at the discretion of the instructor.
  • The instructor must report on the official grade roster the grade “I” followed by the minimum grade the student will receive if the course work is not complete by the end of the following semester (e.g., IF, or IC, or IB).  That grade will be used in the computation of grade point averages until the Incomplete is removed.
  • If, by the end of the following semester, the instructor reports a single final grade to the Registrar, that grade will replace the I/GRADE, the Incomplete will be removed, and averages recomputed accordingly.  Otherwise the minimum grade that was assigned with the “I” will become a permanent part of the transcript.
  • Exceptions to the above may be granted only by the written permission of the Assistant Academic Dean.  Such exceptions will ordinarily be granted only in cases of medical disability or problems of comparable seriousness.

Degree candidates are cautioned that failure to have all degree requirements satisfied (including removal of Incomplete grades in courses needed for graduation by March 15th) will necessarily result in postponement of their graduation.

See also: Academic Catalog: Incomplete Grades -


Minnesota students eligible for the Minnesota Grant Program must register for and attend a minimum of 15 credits each semester to receive a Minnesota Grant at the full-time student rate. Students who register for 12-14 credits may still receive a Minnesota Grant, but the award amount will be substantially reduced.

For all other financial aid programs, 12 credits is considered full-time.

For any questions regarding the Minnesota Grant Program, contact a Financial Aid Office.


The Registrar's Office will use electronic mail as the most expeditious means of communicating with student. Ensure that junk mail filtering is not blocking messages from the Registrar's Office in order to receive important notices regarding graduation, cancellation of courses, etc.

Please make sure you are subscribed to "Official Announcements-Students" distribution list. You can check which lists you are subscribed to by logging in to distribution lists management:

If you are not subscribed to this list and are unable to add it through the "subscribe" link, please contact the IT Services Help Desk,, to be added back in.


Before attempting to register for courses listed as "Permission of Instructor or Department", students must obtain written permission by completing an override request form -


Check the course listings section of this class schedule to find out if a class has a prerequisite. Make sure you have met all prerequisites before attempting to register for a course. If you have not taken the prerequisite, you must contact the department to seek written approval to register for the course by completing an override request form -


If the Provost Office determines that final exams cannot be held due to weather or any other emergency situation, then the following protocol will be followed:

  • If the entire day of final exams must be canceled, then that day of exams will be held the day after the last day of the regularly scheduled final exams. The exam times will remain the same on the extra exam day.
  • If classes are canceled for any part of a regular exam day then those exams will be held the day after the last day of the regular final exams. The exam(s) will begin at 8:00 am on the extra exam day.


  • Failed course - A course which has been failed may be repeated for credit
  • Passed course - A courses which have been passed may not be repeated for credit. Credit for a course can be earned only once. However, a course may be repeated for additional honor points. In this case, the original grade is not removed from the transcript, but the higher grade is utilized in the computation of the GPA.
  • If you are registering for a course that you are repeating you must notify the Registrar's Office.
  • Repeating a course in which a passing grade has already been earned may have financial aid implications. For additional information, contact a Financial Aid Office.
  • Coursework completed through AP, IB or PSEO may not be repeated at CSB/SJU for additional credit. If you choose to enroll in the equivalent course at CSB/SJU, the AP, IB or PSEO credits will be removed from your CSB/SJU transcript.


The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University comply with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibits discrimination (including sexual harassment, sexual misconduct and sexual violence) based on sex in the college's educational programs and activities. The college and university have zero tolerance for sexual misconduct in any form.

The Sexual Misconduct Policy for the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University is available at  Policy and Reporting – CSB+SJU ( ).  To file a report visit File a Report – CSB+SJU.


  • Tuition - students registering for student teaching (EDUC 360, 361, 362, 363) in their 9th (or greater) semester as a full-time student at CSB/SJU will be billed at ½ the regular tuition rate for that semester
  • Fees - student teachers will also not be charged the student activity fee, technology fee, and campus center fee for that semester
  • Financial Aid - institutional gift aid (scholarships/grants) will not be available to these students


CSB/SJU offer a number of group overseas study programs. Students who plan to enroll in one of these programs should contact the Center for Global Education, Clemens Library, A-101 at CSB.

External programs

  • Students who are considering enrolling in coursework offered abroad by another institution (Consortium/External Study Abroad) should contact the Center for Global Education or the Registrar's Office, for information on transfer of credits.
  • Students who register for SA 372, Consortium/External Study Abroad, will be billed a $300 fee.

Seniors studying abroad

  • Seniors must ordinarily be in residence for the two semesters immediately preceding commencement (graduation).
  • "In residence" is defined as enrollment as a full-time student at CSB/SJU for a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
  • Any student wishing to register for an External Study Abroad Consortium during one of their two last semesters of their Senior year must receive approval from the Academic Advising Office.

Seniors will not be allowed to register for a year-long External Study Abroad Consortium.


In exceptional circumstances and for appropriate reasons, students may petition for a substitution from specific academic regulations. Forms for requesting a substitution are available online:

Students should first consult with their academic advisor. Department chairs are the approving officials for substitutions from requirements within majors and minors. Substitutions from academic regulations beyond major and minor fields (including common curriculum requirements) require the approval of the Academic Dean or the dean's designee. Requests for these non-departmental substitutions should be directed first to the Academic Advising Office.

The guiding principle in considering requests for any substitution is fidelity to the academic standards of the colleges.

See also Academic Catalog: Substitution -


  • Arrangements for this non-honor point grading option should be made with your professor at the beginning of the course.
  • Undergraduates are limited in the number and types of courses they may take for the grade S (satisfactory). See the Academic Catalog for specific rules.
  • The grade S, once turned in by the instructor, is not subject to later change.
  • Grading options are listed in the class schedule as either "Grading Option A-F Required" or "Grading Option S-U Required". If neither of these statements is printed with a course in the class schedule, the instructor will permit eligible students to choose either option by the date the instructor specifies at the beginning of the course.
  • If coursework grades average below a C under the S/U option, the grade U (unsatisfactory) will be given with no credit earned.

See also Academic Catalog: Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades -


The College of Saint Benedict, Saint John's University and nearby St. Cloud State University have an agreement designed to allow cross-registration for courses on any of the three campuses by their regular full-time undergraduate students. Saint Benedict's and Saint John's students may register for courses offered in the St. Cloud State University course schedule provided they are registered for a minimum of 12 credits at Saint Benedict's and Saint John's. The request to take a course at St. Cloud State University is filed at the Registrar's Office.

  1. The Tri-College application should be completed by the student -
  2. The form is then approved by the student's regular academic advisor before it is submitted to the Registrar.
  3. The registrar will determine whether space is available and confirm registration.
  4. Registration is limited to fall and spring semesters.

The exchange program is subject to change without notice or obligation. Students will be billed tuition and any fees (such as for laboratory or studio materials) at the rates prevailing at Saint Benedict's and Saint John's.

Transportation to and from St. Cloud State University is the student's responsibility, for which the student must assume all obligation and risk.

For additional information see,


Current students may request an unofficial paper copy of their transcript at no charge from the Registrar's Office. Official transcript requests must be submitted in writing to the Registrar’s Office and may be picked up at the Registrar's Office (or we can mail them for you) three business days after the request is made, except during the first and last week of each term. To make a request, complete and sign a transcript request form -

Former students may request an official paper transcript copy for $15.00 per transcript. All transcript requests must be submitted in writing and payment must accompany the order.

Students may also request an official PDF transcript online through the National Student Clearinghouse:

For additional information, see Registrar's Office: Transcripts -


All updates to the class schedule will be reflected on Banner Web. Additional courses and cancellations will be published on the Registrar’s Office website under the updates area:


If a course is listed with a range of credits (variable), you must enter the appropriate credit amount desired when you register for the course. The credit amount you are registered for may impact your status as a full-time student and/or your financial aid eligibility.


Electronic certificates of enrollment are available through our National Student Clearinghouse Self-Service.  Once you are logged in to Banner Web:

  • Click on "MyHub"
  • Once you have accessed MyHub, click on "Self Service"
  • Select the College/University (some students may have more than one school from which to choose)
  • Click on the "Download" button and a PDF will download to your computer
  • Select the certificate needed from the dropdown menu
    • "Current Enrollment" is the current or most recent term
    • "All Enrollment" is a record of your entire enrollment history at CSB/SJU
    • "Advanced Registration" is a record of your enrollment for the upcoming semester (available between class registration period and start of the next semester)
  • Click on the "Download" button and a PDF will download to your computer

The Registrar's Office can provide verification of your enrollment at the College of Saint Benedict or Saint John's University, as well as other information, such as graduation date, majors, full-time status, etc.

Any request to release GPA information must be in writing with your signature authorizing the release of this information.

See also: Verification of Enrollment - and Records and Privacy -


Any student who decides to discontinue either during the semester or between semesters must complete the proper withdrawal form with the Residence Life or Academic Advising Office at Saint Benedict's or with the Campus Life, Academic Advising or Financial Office at Saint John's.

No official record of attendance for that term is kept if a student withdraws from school during the first 20 days of the semester. Students who withdraw from school after that date, but before the final 16 class days of the semester, receive a grade of "W" for all courses registered for that semester. Official withdrawal during the last 16 class days of any semester is not possible.

Students who have withdrawn from Saint Benedict's or Saint John's and intend to return to continue their studies may apply for readmission to the colleges. Consult the Admission Office,, for further information.

See also Academic Catalog: Withdrawal from College -