Degree Works Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

About Degree Works

Using the Student View Audit

Using "What If"


About Degree Works

How is my degree audit different from my transcript?

Your degree audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. Your transcript is your official university academic record and provides a chronological list of all courses completed along with your grades.

Can I access Degree Works on any computer?

Yes. Access to Degree Works is through the Web so anywhere you can log in to Banner Web Self Service will allow you to access Degree Works.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. Like other processes you use through Banner Web Self Service, Degree Works is accessed through your secure log in. Remember, that your advisor, faculty, and selected staff will be able to view the information contained in Degree Works for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

How current will my information be in Degree Works?

The information in Degree Works is updated every time you open Degree Works.

Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

No. Degree Works is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and completed in academic history. Registration will continue to be handled through the Student Services link of Banner Web Self Service.

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

Yes. Degree Works is laid out in block format displaying degree, major, minor, and concentration requirements information. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements that you still need to complete.

Are my grades visible in Degree Works?

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in Degree Works the following morning.

Can I see a list of all of the classes I've taken?

Yes. On the Worksheet Audit tab, click on the Class History link (top right side) for a printable list of courses taken at CSB/SJU as well as transfer courses. The Class List is not the same as a transcript since it doesn't list the term GPA or cumulative GPA.

What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?

You should contact the Registrar's Office. Any exception to major, minor or concentration requirements should be discussed with your major/minor department chairperson.

The requirements for my major are wrong. What do I do?

Look at the catalog term that appears on each of the blue bars (right side) that separate the sections of your worksheet. This is normally the catalog year that you began at CSB/SJU. If you're actually using older or newer requirements, contact the Registrar's Office to update your catalog information. Once the changes are entered, the correct information will appear on your worksheet.

How can I update information?

You cannot update course information in Degree Works. To change your major, minor, or concentration, you must submit a form to the Registrar's Office.

Using the Student View Audit

What is an audit?

A Degree Works audit is a review of past, current and "planned" coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree, major, minor, or concentration.

Will I be able to view my entire course history?

Degree Works uses the information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been completed, registered for, and/or transferred by the date your audit was last updated. Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your audit.

Where can I find my major GPA?

Your major GPA is a calculated GPA based on coursework used to fulfill major requirements. This GPA will appear at the top of the major block requirements of your audit.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

Your audit will outline for you the courses still needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss a plan with your academic advisor.

Where can I see my second major or my minor?

Degree Works is designed to show a listing of your majors and minors in the Student View audit. Additionally, each major and minor is broken out into individual requirement blocks within the audit.

Does Degree Works include my AP credit and transfer work?

Once AP scores are received from the College Board and credit is granted they are posted to the student record and will appear on the audit. Likewise, transfer work, if received and articulated by the Registrar's Office, will also appear.

Why isn't my transfer work meeting a requirement?

There could be two reasons. First, the course may not have met the requirement for use in your program of study. Second, all requirements have been met and this course is simply not needed.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?

Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient Due to Grades and/or Repeats block on your audit.

My department chairperson approved a substitute course. How will that course appear on Degree Works?

After the substitute course is approved by the department chairperson, the Registrar's Office will record the substitution. The course you completed will fulfill the requirement, and an additional line will appear under it explaining the rationale for the substitution and who entered it.

My department chairperson told me that a course I took would be substituted for a requirement. Why doesn't this information appear in my audit?

You should contact the department chairperson to resolve any substitution issue. Any substitutions for regarding a major, minor or concentration requirement must be sent to the Registrar's Office by the appropriate department chair.

When should I look at my degree audit?

At least four times a semester, you should always review your audit:

  1. Before you meet with your academic advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester.
  2. After you register to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements like you thought they would.
  3. After your grades for each semester are posted.
  4. Any time you make a change to your schedule or major.

I have been cleared for graduation, but Degree Works says that I haven't completed all my requirements. Does this mean that I won't be able to graduate?

Not necessarily. This can be a timing issue such as posting of grades for the current term. Make sure you have followed through on any requirements you were told to complete and contact the Registrar's Office with any further questions.

How does Degree Works decide where to place courses that I've completed?

Degree Works looks at your entire program and places each course using a "best fit" scenario for courses applying to the Common Curriculum, major, minor and concentrations. The "best fit" process will not always be perfect, particularly when multiple possibilities exist.

Degree Works placed one of my courses in two different places. Is that okay?

Yes. Degree Works is programmed to recognize that some courses can fulfill more than one requirement. In some cases one course will fulfill a Common Curriculum requirement and a requirement for a major or minor (or concentration).

I've seen the '@' symbol in several places on my audit. What does this mean?

This is a wild card in Degree Works. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @ 100-399), it means that you can take any subject area with that level (a 100-399 level course from any subject area). If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e., PSYC @), it means that you can take any course with that subject prefix (any course in Psychology).

I've seen the '^' symbol in several places on my audit. What does this mean?

This is a notation that a pre-requisite course is required.

Still Needed: 12 Credits in PSYC 320^ or 330^ or 331^ or 340^ or 350^

Each of these PSYC courses have another prerequisite course that must be taken first.

Can I save or print my audit?

Yes. Utilizing the 'Save as PDF' button, you can save or print a .pdf version of your audit. When doing so, please be aware of FERPA restrictions.

What is a FERPA restriction?

FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. More information about FERPA is located on the Registrar's page on Records and Privacy. Under FERPA, students can opt to restrict their educational records.

Using "What If"

What is the "What If" feature?

The "What If" function allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or concentration. The "What If" audit will show you what coursework is required for the new major, minor, or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

If I use the "What If" feature does this mean that I have changed my major?

No. The "What If" function is for information purposes only. You will see the header "What If" Audit displayed at the top of the audit whenever an audit is run on a "What If" scenario.

I want to change my major. How can I see what would be required if I made this change?

You can use the "What if" option on the Audits tab to do an audit using criteria you select. Please be sure to select a Degree, Catalog term and College. "What-if" audits do not guarantee that you will be able to major in the area you select. If you decide you'd like to change your major given the "What-If" scenario, contact the Registrar's Office.

How do I check to see if I'm eligible for a minor?

Use the "What-If" tab. After choosing a major program, continue through the concentration select to the minor selection area. Enter the minor you're interested in earning, and run an audit. You can do the same thing if you're checking for another major or thinking about changing your degree program.

My major requires me to complete a concentration or emphasis area, but it didn't appear on the audit. What's wrong?

Either you haven't declared your concentration yet, or you ran a "What-If" without adding a concentration. If you need to declare a concentration, contact the Registrar's Office.

Can I view multiple "What If" scenarios on the same screen?

Yes. Degree Works will allow you to select more than one major at a time, or to select multiple major(s), minor(s) and concentration(s).

Can I save a "What If" scenario?

No. "What If" plans are not saved on Degree Works. You would need to run a new "What If" scenario next time you log in to see it again.

Can I print a "What If" scenario?

Yes. If you want to share it with your advisor at a later date, you should print your "What If" scenario.


GPA Calculator Tab

There are three different GPA calculators: Graduation, Term, and Advice. This functionality will calculate the minimum grades needed to reach a target cumulative GPA. It can assist in accurate mapping of student paths to achieving honors, avoiding probation, and/or satisfying personal academic goals.

What does the Graduation Calculator show?

The Graduation Calculator will show you what grade average you must earn in order to graduate with a desired cum gpa.

What does the Term Calculator show?

The Term Calculator will show you your estimated cumulative GPA after you fill in hypothetical grade information. By entering in your current earned credits and GPA and placing your in-progress courses in the table (this all will default in for you) along with the grade you anticipate receiving for each course; you will see a revised cumulative GPA for the term based on the estimates you provided.

What does the Advice Calculator show?

The Advice Calculator option on the GPA Calc tab will show what average you will need in your remaining credits to graduate with your desired GPA.

Is this calculated GPA guaranteed?

No. This is an estimate only.

What if I select a grade of "S/U"?

"S" or "U" grades do not count in your GPA. However, for courses that you expect to receive an "S" or "U" grade, you should still enter the "S" or "U" grade.