2023-24 Academic Year
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University choral program has a place for EVERY student who wishes to sing in a choir. Students who desire to participate in one of our touring ensembles – Chamber Choir, Men’s Chorus, and Women’s Choir – must complete a placement hearing during the first week of the fall semester (sign up for a hearing by clicking the appropriate button located just to the right of this paragraph).
NOTE: No placement hearing is required to join the All-College Choir; to enroll in All-College Choir, simply register for MUSC 239 for 0 or 1 credit.
Information about the placement process is below. If you still have questions after reading the information, please contact the Department Coordinator, Kelly Brueske.
Exciting Opportunities This Year! Don't Miss Out!
- Christmas with Saint Ben’s and Saint John’s (two performances on-campus AND one performance at the Basilica of Saint Mary in Minneapolis)
- The Chamber Choir will collaborate on a performance of Mozart’s Requiem with the Saint Cloud Symphony Orchestra and Great River Chorale in February
- All students in Chamber Choir, Men’s Chorus, and Women’ Choir have the option to participate in an international performance tour to Peru from May 21-31, 2024 (after spring semester has concluded). Information will be provided early in the fall semester.
Choral Ensemble Rehearsal Times
- All-College Choir - T 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (SBH 028 - SJU)
- Chamber Choir - MW 3:00 p.m. - 4:10 p.m./TR 2:50 p.m. - 4:10 p.m. (SBH 028 - SJU)
- Men’s Chorus - MTR 4:45 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (SBH 028 - SJU)
- Women's Choir - MW 3:20 p.m. - 4:35 p.m./TR 3:20 p.m. - 4:50 p.m. (BAC A135 - CSB)
Soprano and Alto Hearing Location and Times
Where: CSB – Benedicta Arts Center (BAC) Room A135, Recital Hall
Monday, August 28, 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, August 29, 2:45 - 6:00 p.m.
Where to Warm Up: Practice rooms are available in the BAC for warm-ups.
Tenor and Bass Hearing Location and Times
Where: SJU - Stephen B. Humphrey (Music Building) Room 228, Dr. Miller's Office
Tuesday, August 29, 10 a.m. - 2:20 p.m.
Wednesday, August 30, 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Where to Warm Up: Practice rooms are available in the SBH (2nd floor)
ALL SINGERS – What to Prepare and Expect
- Arrive at your audition 5 minutes prior to your scheduled time
- Please prepare a piece to sing that highlights your voice and ability. This can be (a) a song you have performed for high school solo/ensemble events, scholarship auditions, etc., or (b) a favorite selection such as: "America the Beautiful," "America" (My Country 'Tis of Thee), the National Anthem, "Happy Birthday," or a hymn or carol.
- Vocalizes to determine range.
- Short pitch matching and recall exercises (a 4-5 note pattern will be played on the piano - you sing it back)
- Sing a hymn melody (music provided) with us accompanying you at the piano.
- Your placement hearing will last approximately 7-8 minutes
- Chamber Choir callbacks will be at 2:50 p.m. on Thursday (callback lists will be posted and sent via email by Wednesday evening)
- Chamber Choir rosters will be posted on Friday morning (First rehearsal is Monday, September 4 at 3:00 p.m.)
- Men’s Chorus rosters will be posted and sent to singers by 4:30 p.m. on Thursday (First rehearsal is Thursday, August 31 at 4:45 p.m.)
- Women's Choir rosters will be posted by Thursday evening. First rehearsal will take place Monday, September 4 at 3:20 p.m.