Student Network Account Provisioning/De-provisioning Policy
The purpose of this policy is to establish a standard for the provisioning and de-provisioning of CSB/SJU student network accounts which facilitate access to information and technology resources at CSB/SJU.
This policy is applicable to the network accounts of CSB and SJU students. A network account, for the purposes of this policy, consists of an Active Directory user object and the resources assigned to it.
Automated Network Account Provisioning
Network accounts are provisioned for all CSB or SJU students that either:
- Have had their application accepted by CSB/SJU Admissions and have paid the enrollment deposit. In addition, the intended enrollment date for the incoming student is for the current term or one of the two terms following the current term.
- Enrolled at CSB or SJU and registered for at least one class for the current term or at least one of the two terms following the current term.
Information regarding newly provisioned network accounts is distributed as follows:
- Notification of provisioned network accounts for CSB/SJU undergraduate students is sent to CSB/SJU Admissions. CSB/SJU Admissions is responsible for sharing with the student the information they will need to use their network account.
- Notification of provisioned network accounts for SJU graduate students is sent to the SJU School of Theology. The SJU School of Theology is responsible for sharing with the student the information they will need to use their network account.
Note: The automated network account provisioning process is run several times per day: 7:00AM, 10:00AM, 1:00PM, and 4:00PM. The scheduled times are approximate and it may take some time for each run of the provisioning process to complete.
Automated Network Account De-provisioning
Student network accounts are subject to the de-provisioning process when all of the following criteria are true:
- The network account does not belong to an incoming student who intends to enroll for the current term or one of the two terms following the current term.
- The student is not enrolled and registered for at least one class during the current term or one of the two terms following the current term.
The network accounts of those students matching the previously described criteria will be de-provisioned as follows:
- An expiration date of the current date +13 months will be set on the network account.
- The student will receive a notification 60 days before the account is set to expire. The notification will include the date the account will expire and information on how to move data from the account.
- The student will receive a second notification 30 days before the account is set to expire.
- The student will receive a third and final notification 7 days before the account is set to expire.
- After the account has been expired for 90 days, the network account is archived and all resources are removed from it.
Note: If a student enrolls for a current or future term after their network account has begun, but not completed de-provisioning, the expiration date on the network account is cleared and the account falls out of the de-provisioning process.
Exceptions to Automated Network Account De-provisioning
Students whose network accounts are subject to the network account de-provisioning process may request extended access in the following cases:
- The student is completing course work for which they received an "Incomplete".
- The student is performing research with a CSB/SJU faculty member.
- The student is on extended leave from CSB/SJU (e.g. family emergency, military service, illness, etc.) and intends to return.
Those who fall into one of those categories and wish to apply for extended access to their network account need to:
- Contact the CSB/SJU IT Services Help Desk at email@example.com or (320) 363-2228 to request an extension.
- Have the faculty or staff member whom they're working with provide confirmation, via email, of the reasons for extending access. The confirmation email must also include a reasonable end date for access.
Note: Academic Term Data
The academic term data used by the network account management system over the course of a calendar year is as follows:
- 1/1 – 6/30: Includes spring term of current calendar year + summer term of current calendar year + fall term of current calendar year
- 7/1 – 12/31: Includes summer term of current calendar year + fall term of current calendar year + spring term of next calendar year
Requests for Temporary Access to Self-Service Banner (SSB)
Former CSB/SJU students who no longer have a network account may request a temporary network account which has access to SSB in the following cases:
- The former student needs access to their educational record (e.g. GPA and course information)
- The former student would like to pay a bill electronically using SSB.
The following process will be followed for those who fall into one of the previously mentioned categories:
- Former student must contact the relevant CSB/SJU department for approval of their request.
- Requests for SSB access related to unofficial transcripts should be routed to the Registrar’s Office.
- Requests for SSB access related to payments to CSB should be routed to CSB Student Accounts.
- Requests for SSB access related to payments to SJU should be routed to SJU Student Accounts.
- Request approval should be sent to CSB/SJU IT Services Help Desk. The approval should include:
- Former student’s name.
- Former student’s Banner ID.
- Contact information for the former student.
- Reasonable date that temporary access will be needed for CSB/SJU IT Services will generate the temporary network account and contact the former student with logon information.