Respondus Monitor is a companion application and webcam feature for LockDown Browser. To utilize Respondus Monitor, CSB/SJU uses a campus-wide license for LockDown Browser. Instructors can access the Respondus Monitor settings through the LockDown Browser Dashboard, available within Canvas. For more information, contact the CSB/SJU IT Services Help Desk.
TESTING RESPONDUS MONITOR
Ensure your first exam using Respondus Monitor runs smoothly! Have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam, before taking a graded exam. Prior to starting the practice quiz itself, have students access "Help Center" from within LockDown Browser:
- Make sure LockDown Browser application is installed
- Locate the installed LockDown Browser application and launch it
- Select "Help Center" from the toolbar
- Run the "Webcam Check" and the "System & Network Check" to make sure everything is working properly. If a problem is indicated, students can search for a solution in the Knowledge Base, or seek technical assistance.
Once students have completed the practice quiz, review the video results to see if corrective actions are required for certain students (e.g. poor lighting; the head isn't positioned within the video frame, etc.). Leave the practice quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can check their setup from a different computer.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS
In order to use Respondus Monitor with LockDown Browser in Canvas, student users should meet the following criteria with their personal or classroom devices:
- Windows: 10, 8, 7 -Details
- Mac: OS X 10.12 or higher
- iOS 10.0+ (iPad only) Must have a compatible LMS integration - Details
- Web Camera (internal or external) & microphone
- Broadband Internet Connection
KNOWLEDGE BASE FOR RESPONDUS
For additional information and help on LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor, please visit the official Respondus support knowledge base.