Exercise and physical activity play an important role in the quality of life of individuals, including enhancing human performance and decreasing the risk of disease and injury. The relationship between physical activity and health is at the core of the Exercise Science and Sport Studies Department mission and the Exercise and Health Science major/minor curriculum.
Why Study EXHS at CSB+SJU?
- Gain a solid foundation in the sciences. With an emphasis in scientific theory and critical thinking, you will be ready to enter the workforce or make an easy transition to graduate school.
- Develop the habits of effective decision-making. Throughout the curriculum, you will develop evidence-based decision-making skills important in the practice of exercise science and health.
- Get real-world experience. Through service-learning and internship, you will apply classroom knowledge and skills in real-world settings and develop important professional skills.
- Engage in undergraduate research. You will learn and practice research skills and have the opportunity to complete an undergraduate research project as the capstone to the major.
- Create a pathway to academic and professional success. You will learn about career options and develop a plan to be successful when you enter the workforce or transition to graduate school.
- Understand the diversity of the human experience. You will develop an understanding of and appreciation for cultures, genders, and religious beliefs that will enable you to practice as a client-centered professional in the fields of exercise and health.
- Small classes and labs give you plenty of faculty interaction throughout your degree program.
- Many opportunities for independent research. See Undergraduate Research.
- Excellent laboratory facilities and equipment. See the facilities.
- Student Employment opportunities a laboratory assistant, sports medicine assistant, personal trainer, or strength and conditioning assistant.
Meet the ProfsFaculty
Department Handbook, CPR and AED CertificationStudent Resources
Life as an ESSS StudentLearning Outcomes
Exercise and Health Science Majors After Graduation
Childhood cancer patient giving back to medicineRead John Colleran's Story
College of Saint Benedict
Saint John’s University
Chair, Exercise Science & Sport Studies
CSB HAB 10A